Thursday, October 13, 2011

So I went to the Frick and the Whitney Museums today, and saw some amazing art. I also spent some time thinking about why I ten to make self portraits in my artistic explorations. I think it has something to do with the personal nature of the work. With the mythological self portraits I am reliving and experiencing the myths and then adapting them to my life. I am searching out the fundamental emotions and conflicts of these stories and updating them. Because the imagery and ideas come from such a personal nature and because I am trying to capture a subtle mix of emotions, I use myself as a model. But they aren't really self portraits in the saw way that Cindy Sherman's photographs aren't self portraits, I am just using myself as a channel for this human experience, or role we play. I am a filter for the stories to pass through.

I also added a body to my medusa drawing. I'm still figuring out what else needs to happen to this drawing, but I think one thing might be a need for full color!


No comments:

Post a Comment