Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chaos Theory

I'm still in Miami, and working part time restoring some paintings that were in a fire, so my painting time has been cut down a good deal. The nice part about that is I have been working more in my sketchbook. Unfortunately painting is the way that I organize my thoughts and center my self, so hello chaos.

A friend mentioned chaos theory the other day, and it started a chain of realizations. Yes, everything is chaos. We are a million leaves in the wind tumbling uncontrollably through the air and colliding with each other. But as overwhelming as disorder can be, some of the most marvelous moments are those where we catch a glimpse of that chaos, and how it somehow comes together to form this world and all our experiences. That, if anything, is magic.

My approach to art making leaves me deeply steeped in chaos, waiting for the series of events and discoveries that will bring the next great inspiration, and in the mean time, painting desperately and incessantly, hoping to stumble into something.

Right now, a large drawing is brewing in the back of my mind. Something relating to Iphigenia. It will be epic, and glorious. In the mean time, I've this ink drawing of a dear to offer you.

No comments:

Post a Comment