Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 411: Louise Bourgeois

I keep seeing a work of art, thinking, "Wow, this is really brilliant and raw" and then discovering that it was made by Louise Bourgeois. It's always inspiring to see women artist who held their own, in-spite of the blatant sexism they often faced. And Louise Bourgeois more than held her own.

In researching her recently I discovered this quote in which she described the inspiration for most of her work “My childhood has never lost its magic, it has never lost its mystery, and it has never lost its drama.” This is something I relate to so strongly, especially in my art making process. I would love the opportunity to see more of her work in person, but in the mean time I've been exploring google image search.

This is perhaps her most iconic work of art, entitled Maman. She made a series of giant spiders in honor of her mother. It amazes me how she manages to seemingly effortlessly capture such a range of conflicting ideas and emotions within a single work of art.
You may recognize this line drawing from one I made recently that is almost identical.


I love installations that transform how we relate to and experience the things around us. Her series of cells seem to blur the separation between human and environment, between comfort and pain, between voyeur and subject. Some I have only read descriptions of. Others I have seen pictures of online, but I would very much like to see them in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment