Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day 385: Here comes Jeanne!

Joan of Arc or Jeanne d'Arc or Janey, whatever you call her, she is about to arrive! I have gotten a few more submissions of self portraits as Joan on fire, and now it's show time. (PS if you haven't sent a picture, don't worry, you can still send them along). Today I stretched my canvases, a process that always results in exhaustion, especially when the canvases are person sized. One is 6'x3' and the other is 5'x4'.
I gave them each 3 coats of primer ( a mixture of gesso, water and marble dust), but I think they could use at least one more before they are ready for some epic Joan of Arc!
I also whitewashed over some old 12 in 12 paintings, and painted over the dream catchers in the painting below. I'm not sure where to take this from here, I like it how it is, but I think it needs a little more.
This weekend is open studios in Greenpoint, and I'll be participating. On Friday there will be an opening from 5-9pm at Yassar Gallery (276 greenpoint ave) that will feature one of my paintings. Saturday and Sunday from 12pm-6pm I will be in my studio also at 276 greenpoint ave, but in building one on the 3rd floor, studio 1314) meeting and greeting all who stop by for the open studios. Hope to see you all there!

2 comments:

  1. teach me more about marble dust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started using marble dust two years ago after my painting teacher suggested it to me. I think it makes the surface smoother and a little bit more muted. It might be psycho somatic, but I love the way my freshly primed canvases look when I use it.

    ReplyDelete