Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 383: Adding Content

I sainted Maggie today, painting a gold halo around her feathered head.

One thing that intrigued me about Matisse in the last show of his, is how he would revisit compositions, making doubles of paintings to learn about the choices he made as he painted. This is something that I haven't done very much of, so today I decided to give it a try.

I wanted to revisit the tree bed I made in my last 12 in 12, but put it in the context of my recent swan feather ritual. Below are the two paintings side by side.
And here is a close up picture of the newer version. I used iridescent gold paint for the background above the horizon and the tree leaves. You can't see it as well in this picture, but it glistens.

I started another bed painting, changing the composition a bit this time. I really like it at this stage, and am tempted to leave it, but it's not finished.

Another painting I started today, also using some of that iridescent gold paint (I may have gotten a little carried away today). I want to collage into this work a lot, and maybe even bring back some of the sewing with embroidery thread I was doing with my whale skeletons. These are all the dream catchers Annie made during our swan feathers performance.

3 comments:

  1. I'm in love with the gold and mattress one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! I was pretty happy with it too. After today though, I think I'm going to have to hide the gold paint for a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, thanks for drawing me all the time. It makes me feel better about homework/life.

    ReplyDelete