Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 378: A little Matisse in Manhattan

I spent the day in Manhattan. Predictably many exciting things ensued.

I finally got to see the Matisse show at MOMA, which was fun and inspiring, because I love Matisse, but as a curated show, slightly underwhelming. There was one comment about Matisse using the "language of color" that made me roll my eyes, but in general the written texts provided some good ideas of things to think about and try. I'm still sorting through them, but good things will come of this.

I also got to see my sister-in-law's 12 week old baby on a sonogram today. Very small and vaguely cashew shaped, but probably the most powerful and moving image I've ever seen.

The final excitement of the day was going to see a play "(No) Boys Allowed". It was written and Directed by my brilliant friend Lindsay. I was expecting epic greatness and was not disappointed. It resonated with me on so many levels, and managed to take itself seriously while still being playful and hilarious. It was remarkably insightful on the 20 something generation, but audience members of all ages seemed to relate. I am still thinking about it/ realizing things now, and probably will be for a long time to come.

It's back to the studio tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment