Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 249: Dresses

In 8th grade I entered my first costume design competition at the youth fair and got a judges award. Throughout high school, I cultivated my passion for costume design. Entering the competitions also gave me an excuse to collect fabric swatches, and today my fabric collection takes up at least four boxes.

I love fabrics, and have been known to start convulsing with joy upon entering any fabric store. For my art final freshman year of college I made a skirt meant to evoke a koi pond, and wore it to my brother's wedding. Though I haven't done much costume design since high school, I carry around my sewing machine and boxes of fabrics every time I move.

Often in moves with creative costume design, I'll notice and be inspired by the costumes. This happened most recently with Colleen Atwood's designs for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. The stunning, beautiful, breath taking costumes absolutely amazed me. When I researched her online, it turns out she also did costume design for Big Fish, Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissor hands, Memoirs of a Geisha... just to name a few.

In summary, I've been inspired to get out all my fabrics, drape them over every surface of the living room, and start sewing again! I've finished the basic part of a dress, which I'm planning to attack with embroidery thread. Here are some images of her costume designs.

First from Sweeney Todd

Then Alice in Wonderland.


No comments:

Post a Comment