Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 182: Swept Off My Feet

Visiting the MOMA in NYC is a lot like visiting old friends. Old friends who you like a lot, and who happen to be throwing a party, and have invited all the coolest people they know. Aside from some old favorites, The Demoiselles d'Avignon, Starry Night, La Danse, That Picasso with the naked boy leading a horse... there were some new favorites too. I felt like every time a turned my head I was left breathless by another glorious work of art.

Among them was this beautiful Gauguin painting of puppies.


A HUGE Monet waterlilies painting that was absolutely mesmerizing

An Exhibit on Tim Burton, wow that man's brain is an enigma!


A beautiful little Klimt that got me thinking about patterns and backgrounds

Other highlights include a floor full of photographs, Avadon, Calahan, Robert Frank, Cindy Sherman etc...
And a retrospective of this CRAZY performance artist named Marina Abramovic, who may have been a masochist, but is also incredibly badass.

Another inspiring highlight of my visit to New York was a studio visit with Georgia Elrod (a friend I haven't seen sine I was 8). She is doing some very incredible work (http://www.georgiaelrod.com/), and has much good inspiring and insightful advice.


If you have an opportunity to go to MOMA make sure to, it is definitely worth going out of your way to see. Also check out Georgia's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment