Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day 110: oh yeah.

Buying new art supplies is an exquisite and painful thing. All the new colors and textures and mediums are exhilarating, but man is that stuff expensive. I'm still in Miami, and will be until the 20th, so I had to stock up on paints and canvases and pastels and papers and, well, all things glorious and good.

The goal for today had been 3 new paintings. But by the time I was home with my bounty, it was already 4. I spent a good while priming these "hardboards" I got which are much like masonite, but supposedly more archival. By the time they were done, setting up my oil paints was out of the question. So, I gladly pulled out the markers, acrylics, pastels, and paper and here's what I got.


The first is expanded from a sketch I made last night. My dad thinks it is creepy, but I think it's sweet, so there you have it. The second is a further exploration of a theme from the last 12 in 12 hours.


Other highlights of the day, I spilled gesso everywhere!

Man but it's nice to be making a mess again!

3 comments:

  1. I like the first one particularly. It's cute. It could maybe be creepy if I thought about it for too long, so I won't. :p

    The second makes me think of Jonah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kody, you're a genius! I even read the wiki summary of the story of Jonah for this one. The idea originated elsewhere (from a mermaid poem) but the reference was inescapable, and I think it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! Reminds me of the song, "joy-pain, sunshine & pain" jojo

    ReplyDelete