Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 28: Officiating the Official













Yesterday's mini mystery? The latest and greatest from my studio?
I have a new wall, a studio wall that I can get paint on, that I can nail things to, that has wheels! My uncle came over around 11 yesterday, and 5 hours, a trip trip to home depot, a lumber yard, and a little being lost in providence later... voila!

In other news, the wait is over. I hereby present you with my dresses painting.

Of course it isn't really done yet, now comes the fun part. Wearing the dresses and documenting their wearing with tally marks. My rendition of Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle (Unless you like lots of confusing equations, don't bother clicking on the link.). It turns out this uncertainty principle is much more complicated than 9th grade biology led me to believe, but my basic understanding seems to conflate it with the observer effect in which the act of observing something changes what is being observed. That is to say that if you try to measure/ record/ see something, you alter it. And, seemingly the harder and more precisely you try to examine it, the more you alter it.

In a way, this is as much a basic and fundamental principle of art as of physics. If the act of seeing or recording something transforms it, then art transforms everything.

Art also then becomes this beautiful struggle towards the impossible. It becomes a never ending spiral where in trying to document or replicate or communicate something the artist is constantly altering what it is he or she is trying to document replicate or communicate.

For example in trying to document my relationship with these dresses I own, I am making a chart of sorts to tally when I wear them. However, this process of tallying-off dress wearage alters how often I wear the dresses and how I respond to wearing them, thus altering my original relationship with them, changing what I am trying to record, ad so on. Seem complicated? Let's take it a step further. This observer effect must apply to the viewers of the work of art too. Is a work of art equally transformed by being observed?


2 comments:

  1. It freaks me out that I can only see one specific difference between the two versions and yet I feel substantially different about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. geddes, i love following your documentation of the art process, it makes art so fascinating! I am becoming very involved and invested in your paitnings! this blog reminds me of letters written by georges braque, in that they are a written account of what is inspiring you.
    bises
    chloe

    ReplyDelete