Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 3: Thinking in the Rain

It rained all day today, cold drizzly New England rain. So naturally I decided to go for a two mile hike. My friend Annie and I meandered along the scenic stripmalls of Providence, my jean cuffs caressing the grey film of rain collected on the sidewalks and streets until they were cold and soaked to the knees.

As we walked, we talked of art and some secret human vocabulary. Perhaps we were touching on the root of symbols, but perhaps we were reaching for something even more ancient and potent. We explored the idea that a simple visual cue can illicit drastic human emotions. If you could make a nail or bolt or toothbrush glow, it would immediately become beautiful, delicate, and mesmerizing. I became intrigued by the question of what makes glowing so poignant, deciding it is some ancient human vocabulary older than words.

I don't know that I have ever made art that asks a question without providing some type of hypothesis, some proposed answer or solution. Right now, I am very interested in making work that asks after this universal human vocabulary that skips our conscious thoughts and filters, heading straight for that familiar twisting of the gut that accompanies terrible ecstasy.

Not much time was spent actually painting today, just thinking and writing and looking up various artists and works of art online. It seems that perhaps, and somewhat unexpectedly, these rain soaked talks are part of my job description. A day of searching, I'd say it's better than a day of waiting. Ah the never ending excitement of an artist's life!

2 comments:

  1. My dad is having a disagreement with people at his office because they think his pants are too short and a few other things about their dress code. It's a generational thing--I think it's hopelessly dorky to where pants that show more than a few centimeters of sole around my heels, but older men are always wearing crazy-short pants.

    From talking to him about it, though, I've realized that we need to get back to that old short pants wisdom. Geddes I say to you: there was a time when people could walk in the rain and not get wet up to their knees. Will we ever get back to that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it seems to me that even just a belt would suffice. But to truly liberate our generation from the drenched cuffs the plague us on rainy days, perhaps we should take to wearing shorter pants. I look forward to the next generation of men, who will wear their pants and boxers so low, that the cuffs of their boxers begin to collect rain water as well.

    ReplyDelete